Game crashes before even starting up (Steam)

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Keith_C

Game crashes before even starting up (Steam)

Postby Keith_C » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 pm

I installed Steam at work, hoping to enjoy some Osmos at lunch to relax - stressful job. I unfortunatley get a simple error saying "Osmos.exe has stopped working". I checked my event log, it has the generic "faulting module osmos.exe" error simply stating osmos crashed. Any ideas? I'm running Windows Vista 32 bit. I have a screenshot that I can e-mail (or attach if there is a way).

Meal Worms

Re: Game crashes before even starting up (Steam)

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:53 am

Hi Keith_C,

Thanks for your post. A few questions for you:

1) You say you installed Steam at work. Does this mean that you've been running Steam and Osmos just fine from home?

2) If you're running from a work machine, I doubt very highly that is has the latest sound and video drivers for your hardware. Do you have permissions to update these on your work machine? If so -- update 'em! ;-)

3) Is your work machine updates with all the latest XP service packs/updates/etc from Microsoft?

4) Did OpenAL install correctly on your work machine as part of the Osmos install process?

5) Can you please post the machine specs for your work machine?

6) Does the game completely crash out before the Osmos log file is written (it's found in the Osmos directory of your Documents folder)? If there's a log, can you post it?

Thanks,
Dave

Keith_C

Postby Keith_C » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:51 pm

1) You say you installed Steam at work. Does this mean that you've been running Steam and Osmos just fine from home?
Well, it runs at home, but I have that sound issue.

2) If you're running from a work machine, I doubt very highly that is has the latest sound and video drivers for your hardware. Do you have permissions to update these on your work machine? If so -- update 'em! ;-)
Yeah, I'm part of the IT department, so I have free range of my machine. It doesn't crash during the sound load though. It crashes before it even goes in to load, like I don't even see Osmos come up, it just crashes right after I click on it.

3) Is your work machine updates with all the latest XP service packs/updates/etc from Microsoft?
Very up to date, latest patches for OS (Vista Business 32bit)

4) Did OpenAL install correctly on your work machine as part of the Osmos install process?
Hmmm, would I see it in add remove programs as a separate app? Where should I check? I didn't see an OpenAL folder in Program Files. In add remove programs "Osmos" has a logo that looks like "AL", would this be it? (I'm supposing, since I don't think games in steam appear in add/remove programs... I'll have to double check when I get home actually, I only have Osmos installed at work).

5) Can you please post the machine specs for your work machine?
Intel Pentium D 3.2ghz
3.00GB
Vista Business 32-bit
Dual Monitors on ATI Radeon x300/x550/x1050 Series (not sure which)
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Some Intel/Dell motherboard

6) Does the game completely crash out before the Osmos log file is written (it's found in the Osmos directory of your Documents folder)? If there's a log, can you post it?
I don't see an Osmos folder in "My Documents" folder hmm, I also did a search of my computer for files named "osmos" I found the Steam Directory, but I didn't see anything in there that looked like a log file. It's not in like my appdata folder in my profile folder or something is it?

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:35 am

Hi Keith_C

Apologies for the delayed response! We've just come back from PAX, promoting Osmos as one of the PAX 10. Anyway -- let's try to get you fixed up!

1) Can you please verify you have the absolute latest drivers for your video and sound hardware? 9 times out of 10, this fixes the problem for people.
2) When you startup up Osmos, do you see anything (a window that quickly appears and then disappears, etc?)
3) OpenAL should appear in your Program Files -- if it's not there, it may not have installed correctly during Osmos installation. Try visiting Creative Labs' downloads page to grab the standalone OpenAL installer (oalinst)
4) Are you able to run other Steam games from your work machine without any trouble? Are there any other games that crash at startup as Osmos is doing?

Thanks Keith_C!
Dave

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”