Still No Sound!

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
JediOfTheShire

Still No Sound!

Postby JediOfTheShire » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:14 pm

I looked at the FAQs and attempted all of the proposed solutions for making the sound work, but I can't seem to make it happen.

I attempted to update OpenAL, but I always get a message "Some OpenAL files are in use - you will require a reboot to finish installation." So I reboot and there is no sound in the game. I reboot once more and try to run the program immediately after login and I get the same message. I even get that message when I'm trying to uninstall the file of OpenAL that exists on my computer already! Of course after the reboot it is still there.

I installed the demo version of Osmos (after wiping my previous installation from the hard drive) and reinstalled the game via STEAM (the client that I purchased the game from) and still- no sound.

I don't know what to do. The game is good without sound but the soundtracks were kind of a big selling point for me and I would like to hear what I paid for while I play. :/

Meal Worms

Re: Still No Sound!

Postby Meal Worms » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi JediOfTheShire,

Thanks for your persistence with this issue! I'd like to see what's in your logs so that I tell what exactly is failing at startup. Can you please post the contents of your Osmos.log file (in the Osmos directory of your Documents folder)?

Thanks,
Dave

JediOfTheShire

Postby JediOfTheShire » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:56 pm

This is the first log entry. Please let me know if you'd like to see more. There were so many I didn't want to post them all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Log opened on Sun Sep 06 10:29:17 2009
Commandline: c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\osmos\Osmos.exe
Preinitializing game: STEAM version 1.5.6 1076
Localization: using language "en"
Localization: loaded Osmos-en.loc
using sound
showing splash
not using cloud
Creating window...
PC running with 1 monitors
Current res of primary display: 1440 x 900
Attempting fullscreen mode
Using fullscreen mode: 1440 x 900, 32 bpp
Initializing GLRenderDevice...
OpenGL version: 2.1.2
Initializing game
Initializing renderer
Loading textures
Loading fonts
Found no demo progress to propagate.
not using vsync
Initializing SoundSystem...
Initializing OpenAL
Getting OpenAL device list
Found no devices
WARNING: Failed to initialize OpenAL
Loading pre-splash sounds
Loading post-splash sounds
Received stats and achievements from Steam
App exiting -- bye!
Writing config to Config.cfg
Deinitializing SoundSystem
Unitializing sound
Destroying window...
Deinitializing GLRenderDevice
Log closed on Sun Sep 06 10:50:04 2009
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by JediOfTheShire on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi JediOfTheShire,

According to the log, your computer doesn't have any sound devices that support OpenAL. the sound library that we use in Osmos. Do you know what kind of soundcard you have? Can you please visit your soundcard manufacturer's website to verify that you have the latest sound drivers?

Thanks,
Dave

JediOfTheShire

Postby JediOfTheShire » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:55 am

My soundcard is "Realtek HD Audio" integrated on my Asus motherboard (SocketAM2 - M3A78-EM). I downloaded their latest audio drivers, installed, rebooted, loaded up Osmos and still had no sound. There was no change in the Osmos log file.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:50 am

Hi JediOfTheShire,

Bummer! Did you grab those drivers from RealTek, or from your motherboard manufacturer? I see on the RealTek page (link here) that their Windows drivers were update just last week (Sept 3/09) -- any luck with these?

Dave

JediOfTheShire

Postby JediOfTheShire » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:19 pm

There are strang circumstances surrounding my ability to access STEAM when I want to, and for some reason it's not working tonight- but I still have the demo installed and after installing the drivers from the page you sent me to the demo still does not give me sound. :(

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Sorry to hear that JediOfTheShire! I'm afraid it looks like your sound hardware doesn't support OpenAL, the audio library Osmos is using for sound. I'm afraid at this point there's not much I can suggest, short of getting in touch with RealTek and asking them about OpenAL support :(

Dave

JediOfTheShire

Postby JediOfTheShire » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:56 am

Alrighty, thanks for the help you've been :)

Radioactivedude

Postby Radioactivedude » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:15 am

I just wanted to say that I have exactly the same problem: Asus P5Q mobo with Realtek HD Audio. Tried everything and no sound at all. :cry:
The recent drivers are also useless.
If anyone knows how to fix this please post.

I was also wondering if a cheap soundcard would do the trick (?)

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”