jeffplum

Re: Game runs incredibly slowly

Postby jeffplum » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:20 am

Win7 64bit

Erm...

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:37 pm

Deathman023 wrote:Oh hey, just a curiosity, are these blenders by chance, ran off of OpenGL? It seems like the HD 4800 series has a hard time with OpenGL based games, such as Chronicles of Riddick and Star Wars KOTOR, both of which I've had problems with in the past.

Since when? My HD4850 runs anything i throw at it with beauty and then some!

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:52 pm

@ Karcean : 9 times out of 10 this is a driver issue. If you're running Windows 7 (which is still in pre-release), and the 64bit version to boot, I'm willing to bet there are still some driver issues that need to be worked out. I'm afraid there's not much I can suggest at this point other than bringing this issue up with your hardware vendor -- I've worked with nVidia in the past and I'm sure they'd be happy to have another game as a test case for their behaviour on a new OS!

Please do continue to post back as this issue progresses for you.

Thanks Karcean!
Dave

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:29 am

Meal Worms wrote:@ Karcean : 9 times out of 10 this is a driver issue. If you're running Windows 7 (which is still in pre-release).

Actually to be nitpicky Windows 7 is no longer pre-release it is in manufacturing and quite a lot of people have the full retail copy installed (as certain places are allowed to get it early).

I have ordered a copy of Win 7 and will be installing 64bit, hopefully by the time it comes out the issues will be sorted (ATi should have a newer driver out by then, they release updates once a month, so it really is worth checking you are up to date!).

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:21 am

Agreed 100% liamdawe! We certainly want Osmos to run on as many hardware configurations as possible, hence our choice of cross-platform solutions such as OpenGL and OpenAL. That said, it's important for Windows 7 users to be aware that hardware manufacturers will continue to be fixing driver bugs for several months after any OS/SP release. I feel their pain ;-)

Thanks,
Dave

liamdawe

Postby liamdawe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:30 pm

I am sure a month or two after the release any issues will be promptly sorted out by ATi and other graphics cards manufacturers for Win7. Only a week or so ago ATi released a new driver version, so as i said check what version you have ATi is at 9.9 now :).

Hope you find a solution soon buddy!

Deathman023

Postby Deathman023 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:14 pm

Hey, I installed cat 9.9 to no avail, i'm not entirely sure what the problem with my card is but it's almost entirely unique, I have found one other person on the entire inter-web with the same problem as me, and he quit the forum I found him on about 8 months ago after finding no resolution. I've posted my problem in it's entirety on a number of forums now, including Rage3d, bioware support forums, atari tech support forums, and a few more that I dont have bookmarked.

Basically, it isn't an issue with Osmos, it's just the fact that Osmos uses OpenGl. My OpenGl version is stuck at 1.1, as far as the OpenGl extension viewer can tell, and my card is identified as GDI-Generic to boot. CCC shows a non-real version of OpenGl installed for some reason.

It's not a problem with this game, it's a problem with my card, but I'm entirely fed up with it. I'm currently ignoring every game that runs off of OpenGl, and will continue to do so possibly until I get a new card, or a future version of catalyst (for some reason) fixes it. I don't find the latter very likely. At the risk of ranting any more, I just have to say thanks, and I know that as it is not this game nobody here is under any obligation to fix my problem, it's a hardware/driver problem. Of course, any help would be appreciated.

[/rant]

hobosailor

Postby hobosailor » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:54 pm

I am having the same problem. Same basic problem stopped me from playing Freespace 2 Open Source as well. Requirement of new OpenGL drivers, graphics card totally unsupported. For me its because its an Acer laptop, and ATI farm out driver support for their laptop cards to the OEM - who obvously do NOTHING to update drivers. Mine date from 2006. Bloody bastards. Caused me so much grief. Tried updating to catalyst (but unsuported), even tried a modded driver which attempted to force Catalyst 9.10 features onto the x1300 drivers. which just led to a blue screen. Tried a lot of things..... for a fair few hours. Wish id read that Osmos was an openGL game before I bought it. :cry: bah.

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:12 pm

Sorry to hear about your troubles, hobosailor. :( Did you by chance purchase the game via the Hemisphere Games website? If so, we'd be able to refund your purchase.

In any case -- I've recently ported the engine to D3D, so once we're confident it's stable for release, we'll be rolling out an update to Osmos which allows players to select D3D vs OpenGL. Will keep you posted.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”