CJK support?

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Jedi

CJK support?

Postby Jedi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Osmos' locale system is simple and cool, but I can't make it work with Traditional Chinese characters. Is there any way to do so? Or the current version only support western languages?

Meal Worms

Re: CJK support?

Postby Meal Worms » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi Jedi,

Thanks for your post. Osmos' localization system should work fine with Chinese characters. The only 'trick' is that the font Osmos shipped with contains only Western characters. That said, you can replace the FortuneCity.ttf with a font that has Chinese characters, then create a new Osmos-cht.loc file (making sure it contains only characters that exist in the new font).

Good luck,
Dave

Jedi

Postby Jedi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:32 pm

That's exactly what I tried. I created Osmos-zh.loc (Osmos-cht.loc won't load) and replaced FortuneCity.ttf with WindowsXP's default Traditional Chinese fonts, but Chinese characters just don't show up.

I also tried ANSI(in this case, BIG5) and UTF-8 encoding for Osmos-zh.loc, and they don't work.

I can give you those files to test if necessary.

Best,
/Jedi/

Jedi

Postby Jedi » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:02 am

I updated my Osmos to build 1.5.7 1089, but still, it can't support Chinese locale display.

I've tried many different Chinese fonts, some free, some commercial, some shiped with Windows, some ttf, some ttc, none works. Big5(ansi) and utf-8 encoding of Osmos-zh.loc are both tested and none works.

Maybe Osmos doesn't handle double-byte characters set well? Oh, please, check if you can make Osmos support Chinese locale!

Best,
/Jedi/

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:31 am

Hi Jedi,

We'd love to get this working! If you're interested in helping, can you please send me an email (daveburke at hemispheregames dot com) with details about what you've tried, as well as a couple of example fonts and your translated Osmos loc file?

Thanks Jedi!
Dave

Jedi

Postby Jedi » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:42 am

Hi Dave,

I've mailed you yesterday. Please reply me so that I can know the mail arrived as it should be :-p

Best,
/Jedi/

Meal Worms wrote:Hi Jedi,

We'd love to get this working! If you're interested in helping, can you please send me an email (daveburke at hemispheregames dot com) with details about what you've tried, as well as a couple of example fonts and your translated Osmos loc file?

Thanks Jedi!
Dave

Meal Worms

Postby Meal Worms » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:23 pm

Hi Jedi,

I did receive your email, thankyou! I'll be getting to this task as soon as I can, and will let you know when Asian characters are fully supported.

Thanks for your help!
Dave

Jedi

Postby Jedi » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:28 am

Just write it down as a note:

Still no luck in 1.5.8 1100. Keep looking forward to its future support....

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”