Achieving achievements offline?

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
lordnikon

Achieving achievements offline?

Postby lordnikon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Hemisphere!

I haven't been about for a few weeks, busy moving house, and now that I finally got my PC set up, what better way to relieve the stress of moving than to sit down with a few ambient master levels? Granted, I didn't have my net connection yet, but Steam's "offline mode" would more than suffice...

All was going well - so well in fact, that I managed to obtain the Ambient Master achievement! However, it would appear that my achievement hasn't been stored beyond my offline session; I definately had the achievement (as far as Osmos was concerned) as I saw it in the achievements screen before closing the game. Now if I start Osmos in online mode, I'm able to access beyond level 3 in all ambient forever levels, but no ambient master achievement is listed!

I'll no doubt play through the levels again while online (or rather the x-4 level to trick Osmos into thinking i've just passed level 3 ;)), but just wondered if this is an Osmos issue, or Steam? I can't recall ever "losing" an achievement due to offline status, but I'm really not sure. Looking through the Osmos log file I see no record of the achievement being obtained, but I'm 100% certain I had it - I can't emphasize enough how sure I am this was listed in Osmos' achievements screen! This may well be expected functionality, but it was a tad frustrating when I restarted and saw I had to do that bloody level with the antimatter again... ;D

Incidentally, Osmos is a brilliant game for destressing following a house move. I thoroughly recommend it ;)

Meal Worms

Re: Achieving achievements offline?

Postby Meal Worms » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi lordnikon,

Thanks for your post! Yes, sadly the Steam achievements are not awarded when progress is made in offline mode. In principle we could update the Steam server-side achievements with the player progress that's stored on the local disk, but this would allow players to cheat the Steam achievement system by sharing their progress files.

If you'd like to obtain the 'Ambient Master' achievement, go online with Steam, launch Osmos, then complete any single level in any of the 'Ambient Forever' zones. Completing the level will re-trigger the unlocking of the 'Ambient Master' achievement.

Glad to hear you've been finding the game is a good de-stresser, lordnikon -- music to our ears!

Enjoy,
Dave

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”