Scrolling Issues since January 5 Update

Feedback and support for the PC version of Osmos
Chris82

Scrolling Issues since January 5 Update

Postby Chris82 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:51 am

Hello,

I have bought Osmos on Steam. The first problem I had after the January 5 update was that the game was suddenly in German although my Steam settings were set to English. I really don't like Games, Websites or any Apps in general switching automatically to German just because my location is Germany. Anyway, I got that fixed with a settings file.

The other problem, which is quite a lot more annoying, is that I cannot scroll properly anymore since the January 5 update. Scrolling became extremely slow and it makes the Game unplayable more or less. Also Ctrl + Scroll doesn't properly adjust game speed anymore, it takes ages until game speed changes. This problem did not exist anymore.

There were no other updates on my system and I have the same problm on my PC and my Laptop. The PC is using a Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 and the laptop is using a Microsoft Wireless Presenter Mouse 8000 and a Standard Synaptics TouchPad (which has the same scrolling issues as the two mice). The operating system is Windows 7 64-bit and I have the latest IntelliPoint software installed. I doubt it's a driver issue, since I used the same hard- and software before the January 5 update and scrolling worked fine at that point.

I would really like an update or any help with this issue :-)

Meal Worms

Re: Scrolling Issues since January 5 Update

Postby Meal Worms » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:17 am

Hi Chris82,

Osmos looks at your OS language settings when determining what language to run in. You can manually instruct Osmos to run in a specific language: details are on the Osmos FAQ at http://www.hemispheregames.com/faq-pcos-xlinux/#tech_language

Regarding your trouble with scrolling:

Can you please check your framerate within Osmos (Alt+F1) and make sure it's smooth? Try using the cursor keys to zoom/dilate (up/down zoom, left/right time-dilate) -- do they behave as expected?

The latest Osmos updated contained a change where sound is now streamed off the disk -- perhaps your harddrive is thrashing and killing performance?

Also, note that if your Win7 version is an RC rather than full retail, future device drivers and OS updates will not apply to your machine, so perhaps something got out of sync there.

Thanks,
Dave

Chris82

Postby Chris82 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:33 am

Osmos looks at your OS language settings when determining what language

My OS language is English US and also my regional settings are set to United States, despite that my "real" location is Germany, so I doubt this somehow.

It's Windows 7 Ultimate Retail with all available updates installed.

No beta drivers are installed, all updated to the latest. Graphics card is an ATI HD4670 if that is of any interest.

Framerate is 60 fps with vsync on (Full HD LCD on PC and WXSVGA on Laptop). Framerate is 80 fps with vsync off. 80 fps is set as default limit in the .cfg. The issue I described in the first post exists with and without vsync in the same way.

Using the cursor keys is smooth for both zooming and setting speed, scroll wheel is not working with any mouse device (tried two others I found in my cellar). Although it is a little inconvinient to use the keyboard for zooming since I sometimes play on a HD Beamer with wireless mouse and no keyboard it is a small solution until the mouse scrolling is fixed. Thanks. I hope you will look further into this issue :-) Let me know if I can provide further information.

eddybox
Site Admin

Postby eddybox » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:07 am

Hi Chris,

Thanks for all the troubleshooting info. We're still not sure what's causing the problem, but it may be worth trying to run in DirectX mode rather than OpenGL.
http://www.hemispheregames.com/faq-pcos ... /#tech_d3d

Thanks!
Eddy

Return to “Osmos PC (Win/Mac/Linux)”